Mikrotik BGP Question

Allan Eising allan.eising+gmane at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:28:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:21:47 +0200, Graham Beneke wrote:

> On 2010/05/21 11:56 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
>> - Mikrotik still has some memory leaks in the BGP stack somewhere,
>> causing funny issues at times.
>>
>> - Filters aren't adequate for my use, and lacking a lot on IPv4, but
>> even more on IPv4.
>
> I haven't seen either of those issues running the v4.x stream of
> RouterOS. The memory leak was solved a while ago and Mikrotik has fairly
> short release cycles.
>
> We have extensive inbound and outbound filters on our eBGP doing most of
> the normal things that you would do on a cisco. The IPv6 filters must be
> built via the terminal to avoid limitations with the current GUI but
> they also work very well

In some ways, I find the MikroTik RouterOS routing filter syntax a little
more powerful than Cisco's route-maps. As routing filters work the same
way as firewall filters, you can group rules in "chains" and reuse parts
of your filters in other filters by jumping to another chain. This could
be used, for instance, on a peering setup, where you have a number of
rules per peer but also some common filtering for all peers, or to handle
specific and generic filtering for your customers.

I haven't yet found anything that I missed being able to with filters, at
least with BGP. With other routing protocols, it's another story.

Regards,

Allan Eising