ipv6 transit over tunneled connection

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sat May 15 10:43:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-15 05:32, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Michael Ulitskiy<mulitskiy at acedsl.com>  wrote:
>
>> So my question still stands: is anyone aware of a reasonable tunneled ipv6
>> transit service (I mean aside from HE tunnel broker)? The load will be really
>> light. I don't expect we'll break a few Mbit/s in the nearest future and when
>> we do then I guess it'll be the time to look for the native transit.
>
> beware the uTorrent ... (see johnb's notes about this)
> sixxs i think also had NYC based tunnel boxes, no?

usewr01 is Newark, thus quite close. uschi02 is Chicago (UN/LOCODE++)
thus not really around the corner unless you compare it to Tokio...

SixXS never does transit/BGP though*. We only provide IPv6 connectivity
to end-sites, thus to solve the problem where the last-mile cannot be
IPv6 enabled, which is the general case for businesses and home users
where their ISP didn't come around to enabling IPv6 (CPE's, DSLAM's,
DOCSIS, it is getting there, but still generally a b**** ;)

(* = http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=bgppeering)

Core networks should be non-tunneled. It is silly to have to need a
tunnel to another network to get IPv6 uplink connectivity.

If you really are in a position that nobody else in the IXs you are
present at can provide native IPv6 connectivity, then well, you should
have started yelling about this years ago.

See http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ipv6transit with relevant
links to the awesome peeringdb to figure out from whom you could be directly

Yes, a tunnel is a good last-resort, but one is better off pushing for
native IPv6. As for doing tunneled-BGP, come kids, the 6bone got shut
down 4 years ago, for a reason...

As for the places that you can't get native IPv6 transit, two words:
    business opportunity.

That should light up the eyes of the folks who didn't realize what IPv6
is for some companies... there is an obvious example of a certain
company which is playing their cards pretty well there, the question for
them is though how long they can survive when the real big boys turn on
their marketing engines, time will tell.

[..]
> and I think kloch @carpathia was doing some of this for a time, though
> perhaps only ASH/PHX ?

He is the one providing usqas01 (the IPv4/hosting part).
Ping him directly though for other things.

Greets,
  Jeroen