Stand alone voltage/etc monitoring?

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Sat May 15 03:18:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 17:57 -0700, Michael J McCafferty wrote:
> I see there are probably some small UPSes ($400 or so)
> that can report this info. Seems silly to buy UPSes to get that info.
>
> 	Is there a quick/small/handy/better way to get power quality info? If
> so, what is it? I don't own the facility.

I've looked at various inline power monitoring appliances solutions and
honestly, most of them will cost more than a small UPS.  The question
is, where do you want to monitor the voltage?  At the input side of the
rack-PDU?  Are your PDUs manageable?  Do you want to monitor voltage to
each device (output side of the PDU)?

Or do you just want to sample monitor on the side (as opposed to inline)
and fed from the same circuit feeding the input side of your PDUs
assuming all your equipment/PDUs are receiving the same power quality?
I monitor at the UPS for my home systems.  My UPSes are APC brand.  A
SmartUPS 500 w/Web/SNMP card will run you about $350 to $400 and you
poll them for input voltage and frequency.  Here's a snapshot from a
couple of years ago... I do have dirty power.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/464847907_c3038c21e4_o.png

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |