ipv6 transit over tunneled connection

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Sat May 15 01:58:42 UTC 2010

On 5/14/10 2:36 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

>> Being that there's issues that leave us unable to get native
>> connectivity, we have a BGP tunnel thanks to HE (with a 20ms
>> latency from Seattle to Freemont).
>
> You should be able to get native IPv6 in Seattle from a variety of
> providers.  If you're not finding it, you're not really looking
> (IMHO).

I can almost guarantee that noone can give us the level of service we
get for the price we do - did an awful lot of research back in 2008 to
find a new co-loc. We've also had nearly perfect uptime with the only
downtime being caused by our own growing pains with equipment that has
obsecure bugs relating to ipv4 and ipv6 BGP interactions.

Changing providers isn't really an option for us as alternatives are
guaranteed to push us over budget.  $$$$ is a limiting factor for us
since we're not a business focused on profit.

Tunneling is our only option at this point.

>> Tunnels suck if not done correctly.  We sometimes have faster and
>> more reliable connections through IPv6, so ymmv.
>
> The tunneled part of the "IPv6" internet fell to the wayside a long
> time ago, there are stragglers and I have even seen people try to
> peer over tunnels in 2010, but anyone still adding that level of
> overlay (v6-over-v4) may find themselves in a world of hurt soon
> enough.

I'm willing to run the risk that my tunneled connection may have
problems - its part of the game of being on the leading edge.

<rant>
This is not directed at anyone in particular, but people forget that not
everyone has thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, etc of
money in their budget to accomplish their goals.  There are people out
there, such as ourselves, that have a very limited budget to work within
each month/year.  Some of us do what we do out of our own pockets
because we like doing it.

For example, people have called me crazy for running P3 and P4 era HP
DL360/380s instead of the new generation stuff, but those nice new
servers cost serious coin, and I don't see people stepping up to fund
these upgrades.

Just an observation, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not the only one who
feels that those with rather high budgets tend to forget that not
everyone has the luxury of a virtual blank check.
</rant>

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org