POE switches and lightning

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Thu May 13 15:50:54 UTC 2010

My first guess would be the lightning was close enough/powerful enough,
to send out an EM Pulse which got picked up by the copper going to the
devices. This EM Pulse may have been interpreted at the switchport as
the device relinquishing power?

Had you tried just unplugging one of the devices from Ethernet, and
plugging it back in to reset the PoE exchange?

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare
(303) 467-4671