BGP and convergence time

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed May 12 01:56:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:31:51PM -0400, Jay Nakamura wrote:
> Yes, I understand BFD.  The question is, do carriers usually do BFD
> with customers?  And if they say no, are there other remedies?  AT&T
> doesn't seem to be even willing to change BGP timers.  If anyone have
> been able to talk AT&T or Qwest in doing so, it would really help to
> find out how they convinced them.  They are such a big bureaucracies
> that it's frustrating to do anything that makes sense.  Although Qwest
> seems a lot more responsive than AT&T.

Slow as the titanic carriers won't do anything innovative for anyone,
regardless of the benefit. Try a clueful carrier and they'll be happy to
run BFD with you. Of course after promoting it for more than a year now
we have something like 5 peers and 0 customers using it (mostly because
of broken vendor implementations), but hey it's never too late to start.
:)