Dial Concentrators - TNT / APX8000 R.I.P.

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Tue May 11 03:26:36 UTC 2010

Chris Adams wrote:

> How are ISPs that still offer dialup going to handle dialup and IPv6?  I
> know the TNTs don't do it, and I don't think most of the old equipment
> in use in many places does.

Most likely the customers still on dialup are not going to worry about
IPv6 - if their systems even support it.  In fact several operators I
have spoken to have considered their legacy dialup plant as a good place
to test Carrier Grade NAT in a low impact manner.

Couple it with some kind of ALG (transparent proxy + DNS tricks) for
IPv6-only sites and you have something which might work.

If you really need native IPv6 support for dialup then using a legacy
NAS as a dial-terminator LAC and tunneling to an IPv6 capable LNS might
be a solution for you.

aj