Dial Concentrators - TNT / APX8000 R.I.P.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon May 10 17:31:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Jerry Bonner wrote:

> I'm told by our Alcatel rep that the APX 8000 is no longer supported
> and that we can no longer get hardware support because they "don't have
> any spare parts".
>
> I share a certain amount of love for this platform dating back to
> Ascend, but what am I to do now? Obviously no one is making large
> investments in their dial platform, but are there any other viable
> alternatives out there that are actually supported?

Vendors aren't releasing much new dial gear anymore because customers
aren't buying it.  Your best bet might be to check the secondary market
for TNT/APX8000 parts.

I have a small handful of AS5300s still floating around for that handful
of users who can't (or won't) ditch dialup.  Luckily that number is small
enough that I can replace any failed parts with parts from other chassis,
since the ones I have were EOL'd long ago.

jms