Securing the BGP or controlling it?

Thomas Magill tmagill at providecommerce.com
Mon May 10 16:54:04 UTC 2010

All of the major providers I have worked with have required proof of 'ownership' of address space or an LoA from the registered holder of that space before they would allow advertisements from me, which are then filtered.  Is this not the norm?  I can understand if they are talking about an operator making a mistake, but the article seems to imply that anyone running BGP can bring down the Internet...  I think any competent provider can easily eliminate this threat from customers.  Are there any types of penalties if an ISP is found to not be taking adequate precautions, other than the possible threat of losing business?