BGP (in)security makes the AP wire

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun May 9 16:30:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:54:46AM -0500, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> And when I drive someplace, I do indeed go by the signs I see, which are
> not erected by a central authority, as I move along.  (I don't have a
> route from here to Fairbanks, Alaska, but my MCA shows one from here to
> Council Bluffs, Iowa, and from there there are several I might use,
> depending on what signs I see ("Warning, I29 N closed at Mondamin due to
> flooding") when I get there.)

Speaking about that, is anyone currently seeing geographic (local-knowledge)
routing and authorityless address (=position) allocation from coordinates
(e.g. WGS 84 position fixes) in any realistic time frame as a major component
on the Internet?

Presumably, one could prototype something simple and cheap at L2 level
with WGS 84->MAC (about ~m^2 resolution), custom switch firmware and GBIC
for longish (1-70 km) distances, but without a mesh it won't work.