Internationalized domain names in the root

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:01:50 UTC 2010

Geoff Adams wrote:
> On 5 May 2010, at 2:16 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps a bit off-topic, but some folks might get support calls...
>>>
>>> http://وزارة-الأتصالات.مصر/
>>>
>>> (that's Arabic for <Ministry of Communications>.<Egypt>)
>>>
>> Great progress and interesting addition to the root, only issue is
>> that after all the work with IDNs you land on a page written in
>> english (web browser lang does not matter, name resolves to the same
>> IP as the original URL). Hope they soon take advantage of the new name
>>

> The page shows up in Arabic for me in all three of Safari

When I first checked this site yesterday, I saw a page in English[1].
The same page is in Arabic today, in the same browsers that displayed
English when I checked yesterday.  I assume the server admin waited
until the domain went live before implementing language display
selection based on the URL used to reach the site, and now it's working
correctly.

[1]  Such as I see when I use this URL instead:  http://www.mcit.gov.eg/

jc