Surcharge for providing Internet routes?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Mon May 3 14:43:58 UTC 2010

On 3 May 2010, at 05:27, Matthew Petach wrote:
> In Asia, there is a popular, but incorrectly named product offering
> that many ISPs sell called "domestic transit" which they sell
> for price $X; for "full routes" you often pay $2X-$3X.  I grind my
> teeth every time I hear it, since "transit" doesn't mean "to select
> parts of the internet" in most people's eyes.  It's really a paid
> peering offering, but no matter how much I try to correct people,
> the habit of calling it "domestic transit" still persists.  :(

This is relatively common in europe too - normally under the name 'partial transit'.

paid peering: [provider AS] + [providers customers]
partial transit: [provider AS] + [providers customers] + [providers peers]

Pricing is typically 5-20% of the cost of full routes, and will provide in the region of 40-120k routes.