Surcharge for providing Internet routes?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat May 1 21:46:22 UTC 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> On 2010.05.01 16:43, ML wrote:
>> Has anyone here heard of or do they themselves charge extra for
>> providing a complete internet table to customers?
>
> ... I've never heard of it, but iow, I'd pay more if I could get my
> upstreams to provide the full table...
>
> Is there a market? I doubt it.

Every "upstream" I've dealt with in the US & western Europe provides a full table if you ask.  Kinda the point of being an "upstream".

There are some countries where "Bee-Gee-Pee" is not understood, and they therefore do not speak it.

If you buy transit from someone and they charge for setting up BGP and sending you a full table in the US, Canada, and most of Europe, I'd find another provider.  That one probably isn't clueful enough to provide good service.

In other parts of the planet, well, they probably still aren't clueful enough. :)  But when the game is fixed, if it's the only game in town, you sometimes have to play anyway.

--
TTFN,
patrick