Posting from freebie E-mail Accounts

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Mar 31 18:04:40 UTC 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Daniel Staal wrote:
> On Wed, March 31, 2010 12:14 pm, Leigh Porter wrote:
>>
>> Until somebody does 'view headers' and sees
>>
>> /X/-/Sender/-/IP
>> /
>> and oh look, it was sent from 'foobarco' ;-)
>
> That depends on how they are sending it, of course.  Webmail usually just
> has the IP of the host, and I imagine quite a few others around here have
> their own personal servers that could also be used for this, one way or
> another.

GMail doesn't even add that header, so you don't have to worry where you are browsing from.

<
 cue thread about Google's arrogance that they know better how to stop spam than anyone else;
 cue thread about Google's complete inability to stop spam even close to as well as many others;
 cue thread about Google's hypocrisy about adding X-Sender-IP on IMAP injected mail, but not through web mail;
 cue thread about people talking about e-mail / spam on NANOG;
 cue thread about moving the whole thing to nanog-futures;
 cue thread about ....

--
TTFN,
patrick