Using private APNIC range in US

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Mar 20 13:16:53 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-18 19:35, Jared Mauch wrote:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=1.2.3.4+site%3Acisco.com
> I know that the University of Michigan utilize 1.2.3.4 for their
> captive portal login/logout pages as recently as monday when I was
> on the medical campus.

A lot of cheap, low-end devices (sometimes with names of well-know
vendors) use IPs like 1.1.1.1 and 1.2.3.4 as captive portal IPs to
authenticate connecting clients. A lot of "WLAN hotspots" users will
have problems reaching 1/8 unless they connect via VPN to corporate
and browse from there or something like that. The question is how
soon 1/8 will have interesting content to serve, as I know at least
one popular hotel chain in Europe using "1.1.1.1".

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
 If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net