YouTube AS36561 began announcing 1.0.0.0/8

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:28:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Mark Scholten <mark at streamservice.nl> wrote:
..
> It is probably the best way to get 1.x free if it is used by big websites.
> However I don't think that they will change it (to only use these IPs). I
> think they have an interest somewhere to not change it...

If  they added a basic javascript-based  1.0.0.0/8  HTTP connectivity
test to www.youtube.com  ,  and alerted users whose networks
definitely had issues,    there  might be some interesting results,
due to the site's popularity.

Alert as in  20 seconds interstitial message  before a video the user
tried to play starts ...  something like  "Your network seems to have
some connectivity problems to the  Youtube.com  IP address  1.2.3.4
and 1.2.3.5,   your video will start in XX seconds.  Please contact
your network administrator."

It would be a decent strategy.  But yes,  I guess there's no real
reason for Youtube etc to do something like that,  other than being
charitable, or someone paying them to do it  (as in advertising fee),
 plus a  week's use of some 1.0.0.0/8  addresses  is  probably not a
long enough time for that.

Depending on how many (or few) issues there are with the /8, the RIR
should want something like this.      If  end user networks have
broken connectivity to the IP space, most of them might otherwise
never notice,    causing harm and pain to  1.0.0.0/8  web/e-mail
address assignees setting up web and e-mail facilities with those
addresses  that their  prospective contacts/visitors never notice,
since user's  attempt at initial contact simply failed,  they never
met to do business  (e.g.  They assumed it was an old site that closed
down, broken link, etc)...

--
-J