Need advise for a linux firewall

Jim Miller stljim at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 19:45:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Abdul Nazeer <voipuser at optonline.net>wrote:

> On 03/11/2010 11:22 AM, gordon b slater wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 11:00 -0500, Abdul Nazeer wrote:
> >

> >> iptables, but if anyone has any other suggestion, I'd love to hear it.
> >>
> > PFsense, (being freeBSD-based, comes  under your "other" category)
> > It uses the OpenBSD-based pf firewall, with a web-based GUI for almost
> > everything (except maybe console resets). works for me in  several
> > locations, some `heavy and high`.
> >
> Looks interesting. Will give it a shot, thanks!
>
> For a very long time I used the following setup with great success:
1. Debian based linux for the firewall box.  With Debian you can do a very
light setup.
2. FWBuilder to builder for the GUI front end.  It's been around for quite a
long time now and has built in RCS for revision control.
3. Quagga for OSPF routing.. We only had about .. 4-5 firewalls but made a
lot of internal routing changes and OSPF _really_ made things easy when we
made changes
4. OpenVPN for after-hours access and off-site staff access.

Anyway, just my $0.02

--Jim