IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 5 18:24:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jeff McAdams <jeffm at iglou.com> said:
>> Both my previous and current employer, in switching from IPv4 to IPv6
>> will drop from 7 and 4 advertisements (fully aggregated) to 1.  I don't
>> anticipate either ever having needs larger than the single initial
>> allocation they have or would get.  Both are multi-homed.
>
> That brings a question to mind.  As an ISP, with IPv4, end sites that
> are multihoming can justify a /24 from us (or another upstream) and
> announce it through multiple providers.  With IPv6, are they supposed to
> get their block from ARIN directly if they are multihoming?

There are three ARIN policy proposals on the table which attempt to
address that issue right now:

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2010_8.html
6.5.8.2. Criteria for initial assignment to Internet connected end-users
b. Currently being IPv6 Multihomed or immediately becoming IPv6
Multihomed and using an assigned valid global AS number, or;

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2010_7.html
6.2.3.2 X-Small (/48)
To qualify for a /48 allocation or assignment, an organization must:
* Be Multihomed per section 2.7, and qualify for an ASN per section
5; or

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2010_4.html
6.5.1.2. Criteria for initial allocation to ISPs
Organizations may justify an initial allocation for the purpose of
assigning addresses to other organizations or customers that it will
provide IPv6 Internet connectivity to, with an intent to provide
global reachability for the allocation within 12 months, by meeting
one of the following additional criteria:
b. Currently being IPv6 Multihomed or immediately becoming IPv6
Multihomed and using an assigned valid global AS number, or;

I'm personally partial to 2010-7 since it also makes TE filtering practical.

> In other
> words, should I _never_ allow customers to announce smaller blocks of my
> IPv6 ARIN block?

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, you should never allow
customers to announce IPv6 cutouts from your block. Cutouts are hard
to programmatically distinguish  from traffic engineering and there
are 16 bits of potential traffic engineering from the minimum size ISP
block if you can't filter until /48.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004