[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 16:46:46 CST 2010

>> Care to explain what that could possibly be? (I simply don't see an
>> upside to making it easy to censor the internet by national identity).
> Maintenance of "GeoIP"-databases becomes easier and less error-prone ?
> Possible less out of date because of it.
> We've seen complaints about those many times on this list.

There are much better ways to handle geolocation than reconfiguring
the structure of the IP address space.  See also:

Regardless of the technical merits of those specific protocols, which
have been debated here and elsewhere, geolocation is an
application-layer concept, and shouldn't be forced down onto the
network layer.