Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Wed Jun 30 21:14:57 UTC 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Ricky Beam wrote:

> Personally, I prefer a bit of both.

same here.  both have some things which I don't agree with.   prime example again is adding more than X vlans to an interface,  why the "add"?

interface TenGigabitEthernet5/5
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,30,40,50,60,100,121,124,125,128,334-336
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 500-505,509,510,513,515-518,530,532,540

that should all be able to go onto one line. I don't follow the logic.

we could sit here all day nit picking I guess.   It was more my managers rage on that fateful day that made me hate that 'method' so much.  8)

>> not being able to issue commands while in config mode (without the 'do')
>> is annoying as hell too..
>
> This is a safety measure to keep your mind on the road.  A typo in config
> mode can make a seriously royal mess.

 I dis-agree with you on this.     who might they be to determine my ability to not mess things up,  and why are the so concerned?    and how does this logic follow onto ASA/PIX/FWSM and WLC devices?   when you are enabled and in config mode on those you can issue non elevated commands.  there is much more potential for damage on an edge security device than an inter departmental switch/router I'd think.  but i could be wrong….

>> ... that woudl be the second issue,  the lack of consistency between
>> devices.  cisco owns that one.
>
> No they don't.  Which version of IOS are you running? Oh, right, that
> switch doesn't run IOS, it runs CatOS?  Wait a min, that's a 1900... it
> uses a menu interface.

haha.  I have to agree with you there. i stand corrected.  It been awhile since i used a "set" based IOS.

> I have three Cisco switches right here that are radically different.  In
> fact, the 2948G-L3 confused a CCIE for several weeks. :-) Until I told him
> stop thinking "switch" and config it like a 48 port router. (and sadly, it
> doesn't support interface ranges. :-()

in closing,  i have to say I love HP's "alias" command,   I can rev my config and save it to a tftp server by typing "saveit" while enabled.  Some IOS's allow you to do a "wr net" and get it there with a predefined tftp server,  but as we discovered,  this isn't available on all devices..

take care and have a great weekend,
greg