Broadband initiatives - impact to your network?

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Tue Jun 29 11:38:39 UTC 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 12:59 AM, joel jaeggli wrote:

> If the data you need to preload is sufficiently large (e.g. 10s or
> hundreds of terabytes then yeah it should come as no surprise that
> it might be more convenient to move by shifting around disks. 100TB
> of raw disk is around $8000.

The cost of equipment is not the driver here, as you can presumably
reuse it.

Looking around, I can find a 2 Terabyte drive with a ship weight of 2
pounds. To ship this from Virginia
to Cupertino, California overnight by FedEx is $ 53.46, and I can mail
them back for $ 14.50. Assuming that "overnight" is a 24 hour delay,
this is an effective bandwidth of 185 Mbps. If I do this every weekday
for a month (20 days), I have shipped 40 Terabytes for $ 1359.20, so I
have an effective "work week bandwidth cost" of $ 7.34 / Mbps / Month,
which seems fairly competitive, especially as I can turn this on and
off as needed (e.g., I don't have to pay for Holidays).

So, depending on need, the shipment of physical media may be cost
competitive, as well as merely convenient.

Regards
Marshall