Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Jun 25 15:11:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:12:57AM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> > pretty quick.  I think what we do using about 10 people in a Cisco
> > environment would be closer to 20 in an HP and Juniper environment, so
> > those additional salaries and benefits need to be a factor.

How many switches/users are we talking about that you need 10-20
people to manage?

> I hear you on the HP stuff, but are you saying that Juniper equipment also
> shows a higher failure rate?  Or, are you saying they require a higher
> staffing rate for different reasons?
>
> Just wondering, since Juniper is trumpeting running the stock exchange and
> all.

I can vouch for the fact that the batch of Juniper EX-PWR-930-AC
modular power supplies shipped around June/July last summer had some
quality issues.  We've replaced about 10 so far (out of about 140) in
the year we've had them.  Presumably they've fixed this on new
batches.  It's a good thing we sprang for the redundant power supply
modules in those switches.

Compare this to the Nortel (now Avaya) BayStack 55xx line where we've
had approximately 0 built-in power supply and maybe 2-3 unit failures
for other reasons in the last 3 years.