Internet Kill Switch.

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sun Jun 20 00:42:35 UTC 2010

On 6/19/2010 17:46, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> [Tomas L. Byrnes] The issue is more that everyone who DOES have access
> has more than one device, and that many of those devices move around. I
> won't get into the "NAT breaks the Internet" war, but it certainly does
> limit the type of applications you can run, or at the very least makes
> network provisioning, operations and maintenance much more complex than
> a non-natted network.

I'm guessing that when the last of us olde fartes have have died off and
each person on the planet (on average) is associated with seven
addressable devices* and all of the applications in use have been
designed and implemented to operate over NAT connections, only the
historians (as a maximum) will be interested in the technology that
broke the Internet.

* every now and again I write something like that, and wonder, as I am
now, if the number I grabbed out of thin air is "reasonable" (what ever
that turns out to mean).

Count with me now (note--I see "addressable" as bigger than "IP
addressable.  I'm not sure what that means, except that I don't have
work out the technology in use in cases where I don't know how they are
addressable, just that they are.)

On the kitchen table.

Lap-top computer,
wireless (not how the Brits won that one after all) mouse,
portable ("wireless") telephone,
Blackberry (4 addresses?)

Enroute from here to the world.

Two wiffy terminals,
Cable "router" (at least two addresses),
Cable terminal.  (Maybe more?)

Also involved in the house.

Wife's Laptop,
Wife's desk-top,
Wife's Blackberry,
My desk-top,
A file-server,
Six other addressable portable telephone sets
Four TV sets,
Two garage-door openers,
A light switch,
Two Ford Explorers.

We don't have any exotics like addressable ovens, refrigerators, or
soft-drink machines.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca