Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jun 17 14:56:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:40:04AM +1200, Andrew Thrift wrote:

>  Another major negative with the HP gear for us is that their switches
> only support SFP/SFP+ modules manufactured by HP, so those SFP+ Twin-AX
> cables that came with your Dell/IBM Blade chassis will be useless to
> connect to your HP Switches, to add insult HP often sell their own
> modules at 3x the price of an equivalent module from say Extreme or Juniper.

I've had no issues putting Netgear multimode GBICs into 1800-24g switches.
Of course, these are probably useless for most people here.

Btw, 3Com is HP now. Apparently, people liked 4800G series a lot.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1276786511413+28353475&threadId=1400446