On the control of the Internet.

Brett Frankenberger rbf+nanog at panix.com
Sun Jun 13 23:09:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 03:23:06PM -0500, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> Mea culpa.
>
> That was suppose to say "How about the case where the master zone file
> has beEN amputated and the secondaries can no longer get updates?

I'm really not sure what you're asking, and I don't know what "master
zone file has been amputated" means, but if the master server goes
unreachable, then, for each secondary, either:
  (a) it's not reachable from anywhere, in which case it doesn't really
matter what information it has because nothing will be querying it, or
  (b) it is reachable from somewhere, in which case you log in to it
from that somewhere, edit the configuration file, change "slave" to
"master", and restart BIND.  (Adjust as needed for whatever DNS server
is in use, if it's not BIND.)

     -- Brett