Large number of IPv6 bogons with spoofed ASpath

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Sat Jun 12 18:04:40 UTC 2010

Hi List

Yesterday I noticed a large number of 'bogon' IPv6 announcement.
I think it was about a 100 different (IPv6) bogon prefixes [1] [2] being
announced from a what looks a variety of origin ASns.

Being the administrator of one of these ASns, I'm quite confident that
we were not actually announcing this prefix (f006:9000::/24).

Looking more carefully at the data. it looks like the Origin AS /
ASpaths are spoofed. I suspect it's just one person/organization
somewhere in  AS174 or AS3257 network which is announcing these bogons
prepending it with different ASns.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Someone doing some kind of
an experiment?

I summarized my observations here: http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=299

If anyone has more info about this, please let me know as I am
interested to learn more about this.

Thanks,
  Andree

[1] http://www.bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?inet=6