Upcoming Improvements to ARIN's Directory Service

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jun 12 11:07:27 UTC 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Jason Lewis wrote:

> It's very clear.  I went back and forth with support, asking how to
> automate my bulk transfer with the new system.
>
> Me: Is the bulk data download going to be available for automated
> download. I can currently download the data daily from the ftp via a
> script. The new web page doesn't seem to support that.
> Support:  No, there is no automation by design.
>
> I'm ok with whatever system they provide if the functionality stays
> the same.  I don't understand what they gain by making a human login
> and download the file.

Jason -

 My apologies for the confusion over this when you called in;
 while we had briefed the support team on RESTful WHOIS, we
 hadn't covered the updated Bulk Whois interface as it is a
 bit of a specialized item and coming out on the next release
 of ARIN Online due to its need for "API key" support.  The
 26 June release of ARIN Online will allow you to create and
 manage these keys, which in turn may be used in RESTful calls
 (and email templates!) for authentication. A brief overview
 of this feature was provided at the ARIN Toronto meeting and
 is available here:

 https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXV/PDF/Tuesday/Newton-REST-and-Relax.pdf

 We will rollout the API key functionality and Bulk Whois via the
 RESTful interface with this next release of ARIN Online on 26 June,
 and this will allow the Bulk Whois data to be downloaded directly
 without logging into ARIN Online by using a RESTful HTTP request
 containing your "API key".  As Mark Kosters noted in his message,
 we did contact current Bulk Whois users ahead of time about these
 changes, but if you were missed or have any questions about the
 change, please don't hesitate to contact myself or Mark directly.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO