Upcoming Improvements to ARIN's Directory Service

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 02:56:04 UTC 2010

> I'm ok with whatever system they provide if the functionality stays
> the same.  I don't understand what they gain by making a human login
> and download the file.

Accountability. If versions X and Y of database got abused (breach of
ToS), and only user U has downloaded such versions, gotcha.
Using honeytokens on the downloaded file can be interesting to quickly
connect the dots: if one of the handles on the list is
comeonspammer32767 at wannahaveapieceofme.com, dynamically generated to
match a download session, and suddenly this account starts to get
spam...

Rubens