Best Practices checklists

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 10 16:05:35 UTC 2010

I expect that the collected members of this list could do a good job
of defining some network security practices checklists. Now that NANOG
has been spun out as an independent entity, I would hate to see it
become just another conference organizer. In the recent past many
professions have learned how valuable a simple checklist is in
preventing errors and ensuring that work adheres to a certain
standard.

So I am suggesting that NANOG take on the task of compiling and
publishing checklists for various areas of network operations. We
could have a NANOG wiki where people can publish, and work over,
suggestions for checklist topics and content. Then at the conferences,
a BOF-style meeting could hash out the official published versions.

We could have an interesting debate on whether or not this would make
a difference and whether or not NANOG should take on this role. But I
hope that we are now at a point where we see that network sloppiness
and insecurity are becoming such major issues that action is needed.
Let's act first, and evaluate the usefulness of the work, later.

--Michael Dillon