ISP Responsibilities [WAS: Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers]

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 16:36:31 UTC 2010

On 6/9/2010 10:58, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> What happened to the acronyms "AUP" and "TOS"?
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I'm talking about an ISPs liability to
> third party victims, not to their customers.

"Acceptable Use Policy" and "Terms of Service"

> AUP/TOS are between the ISP and their customer.

Very good.  Does that provide an answer to the earlier question about
"what is a provider to do?" when a customer misbehaves?  Does that
provide a method for assigning liability?

I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't seem a stretch to me to include, in
this context, traffic from peers and transit providers.
--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca