Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Wed Jun 9 15:26:13 UTC 2010

On 6/9/10 6:27 AM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> Going back then to a previous question, do we want more/any regulation ?

Laws and regulation exist because people can't behave civilly and be
expected to respect the rights/boundries/property others.

CAN-SPAM exists because the e-mail marketing business refused to self
regulate and respect the wishes of consumers/administrators

FDCPA exists because the debt collectors couldn't resist the temptation
to harass and intimidate consumers, and behave ethically.

It's just a matter of time, and really unavoidable.  The thing is, these
industries have no one to blame but themselves.  In all cases, these
laws/regulation only came into affect AFTER situations got out of control.

Lately, the courts have been ruling that companies like LimeWire are
responsible for their products being used for piracy/downloading because
they knew what was going on, but were turning a blind eye.

Why not apply the same standards to ISPs?  If it can be shown that you
had knowledge of specific abuse coming from your network, but for
whatever reason, opted to ignore it and turn a blind eye, then you are
responsible.

When I see abuse from my network or am made aware of it, I isolate and
drop on my edge the IPs in question, then investigate and respond.  Most
times, it takes me maybe 10-15 minutes to track down the user
responsible, shut off their server or host, then terminate their stupid
self.

A little bit of effort goes a long way.  But, if you refuse to put in
the effort (I'm looking at you, GoDaddy Abuse Desk), then of course the
problems won't go away.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org