ISP Responsibilities [WAS: Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers]

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:39:47 UTC 2010

> 1. Should ISPs be responsible for abuse from within their customer base?

Not sure, ISPs role is just to move packets from A to B, you need to
clearly define what constitutes abuse and how much of it is considered
a crime.

If I call your home every five minutes to harass you over the phone is
AT&T responsible ?

> 1a. If so, how?

Pull the plug without looking at how much you are billing.

> 2. Should hosting providers also be held responsible for customers who
> abuse their services in a criminal manner?

Same as 1,

> 2.a If so, how?

Same as 1a.

> I think anyone in their right mind would agree that if a provider see
> criminal activity, they should take action, no?
>
> If that also holds true, then why doesn't it happen?

What incentive they have to do so ? and how liable they become if do
something without a court order or such ?

> Providers in the U.S. are the worst offenders of hosting/accommodating
> criminal activities by Eastern European criminals. Period.

Probably true, here money talks.

Cheers
Jorge