Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 9 05:22:47 UTC 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 9:05 PM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:59 PM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm still truly amazed that no one has sic'd a lawyer on Microsoft for
>> creating an "attractive nuisance" - an operating system that is too
>> easily hacked and used to attack innocent victims, and where others have
>> to pay to clean up after Microsoft's mess.
>>

> Do you honestly believe that if 80% of the world's consumer computers were
> *not* MS operating systems, that the majority of computers would still not
> be targeted?

Targeted? Yes.
Successfully compromised? Less so.

Look at it this way... The vast majority of web servers are Apache, yet, IIS is compromised
far more often.

Yes, Micr0$0ft is a major contributor to the problem.

> Please, be for real -- the criminals go after the entrenched majority. If
> it were any other OS, the story would be the same.

If this were true, the criminals would be all over Apache and yet it is IIS that gets
compromised most often.

Owen