Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 03:59:28 UTC 2010

Jorge Amodio wrote:
>> None of this needs to be done for free.  There needs to be a "security
>> fee" charged _all_ customers, which would fund the abuse desk.
>>

>> With more than 100,000,000 compromised computers out there, it's really
>> time for us to step up to the plate, and make this happen.
>>

> Or you should send the bill to the company that created the software
> that facilitated to get so many computers compromised, some folks in
> Redmond have a large chunk of money on the bank.

I'm still truly amazed that no one has sic'd a lawyer on Microsoft for
creating an "attractive nuisance" - an operating system that is too
easily hacked and used to attack innocent victims, and where others have
to pay to clean up after Microsoft's mess.

For instance, if you build a pool in your backyard, and you don't
properly fence it, and kids illegally trespass on your property to get
in to your pool, and they get hurt, you will be sued and will be held
liable.  You built this dangerous thing, and you didn't properly secure
(fence it), and it's your responsibility even when someone *illegally*
gains access and hurts themselves (or others).  There are numerous other
examples of "attractive nuisances" where individuals and companies are
held liable for injuries caused by people who illegally gained access to
improperly secured property and items.  Why hasn't *someone* brought
this up with Microsoft and Windows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractive_nuisance_doctrine

jc