BGP convergence problem

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Wed Jun 9 02:09:42 UTC 2010

* globichen at gmail.com (Andy B.) [Tue 08 Jun 2010, 16:28 CEST]:
> I finally decided to shut down all peerings and brought them back
> one by one.

Sadly that's often the way it has to be done, modulo mild tweaks.

> Everything is stable again, but I don't like the way I had to deal
> with it since it will most likely happen again when DECIX or an
> other IX we're at is having issues.

As others have said upthread in more polite wordings, get a better
router if yours can't handle the load.  (Or use the route servers more
- it's what they're there for.)

> I've seen a few BGP convergence discussions on NANOG, but none about
> deadlock situations and what could be done to avoid them. Setting
> higher MTU or bigger hold queues did not help.

I hope you didn't change the MTU to anything different from what
everybody else on the DE-CIX Peering LAN uses - that only leads to
suffering.

	-- Niels.

--
"It's amazing what people will do to get their name on the internet,
  which is odd, because all you really need is a Blogspot account."