Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Fri Jul 30 10:11:04 UTC 2010

On 30 July 2010 09:53, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> 2.      Yes, they are already available. A moderate PC with 4 Gig-E
>        ports can actually route all four of them at near wire speed.
>        For 10/100Mbps, you can get full featured CPE like the SRX-100
>        for around $500. That's the upper end of the residential CPE
>        price range, but, it's a small fraction of the cost of that functionality
>        just 2 years ago.

A moderate PC is not a typical CPE. An SRX-100 is not a typical CPE. A
Draytek DSL modem/router is not a typical CPE.

Your typical CPE is, and always will be, a simple device. It will (and
should) contain no user configuration that is required for operation.
If it does, it's too complicated for the average user.

>                Home sensor network and/or appliances

If it's really necessary to put these on a separate network, I highly
doubt anyone but the true gadget geek will bother.

>                Kids net (nanny software?)

Should be sorted at the PC-level, not the network level. If it really
is going to be a network service, it should be off the home network
and a managed service by an ISP somewhere.

>                Home entertainment systems

Really? A separate network just for an HTPC?

>                Guest wireless

Wireless is polluted enough. Supposing everything's fixed in the
future and there is near-unlimited wireless spectrum, your average
user is just going to give the encryption key to the router to the
guest. Network management is not on the radar for 99.9% of resi users.

Seriously, this is getting silly. I'm not even going to respond any
more - if you genuinely think users care about network management,
you're wrong. They treat it as a black box, and that isn't going to
change for a long, long, long time.