33-Bit Addressing via ONE bit or TWO bits ? does NANOG care?

Atticus grobe0ba at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 03:45:03 UTC 2010

What world do live in? Yes, we extend the life of IPv4 by increasing the
numeric range. As for "only needing port 80", I'm not really sure where
you've been for the last decade or so. There's are hundreds of services
using different ports, and tunneling them all makes absolutely no sense.
Yes, we don't really need 65k ports, but stealing bits in the header from
them is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet.

List of registered ports: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>Also take into account public
access *nix servers, with people running their own services on whatever port
they've taken or been assigned. How do you intend to implement a solution
for that? Give public access servers the middle finger and keep on going?

--
Byron Grobe

--
Byron Grobe