Web expert on his 'catastrophe' key for the internet

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jul 30 03:09:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:19:45 CDT, Jorge Amodio said:

> I suggest that it should be seriously considered to revoke the role of
> RKSH from the person that used that role to obtain publicity and self
> promotion, and request the immediate return of all cryptographic
> material. This is not something to get the guy on a limo an parade him
> on the streets of his local town or have now every one included on the
> public list interviewed by news outfits.

Well, there's a bit of a problem - you have to make the list of key holders
known, so that all and sundry can verify for themselves that ICANN (or any
other single organization, for that matter) doesn't have all the marbles.

A second point is that if you have 7 keyholders who are not well known, they're
actually *easier* targets than if they're well known public figures.  Think
about that for a bit - who's easier to coerce without being detected, the guy
who lives in the apartment downstairs from me, or somebody who's out in the
open and identified as important?

A pretty good article that puts a lot of the rest of it back into perspective:

http://www.digitalsociety.org/2010/07/fantasy-role-playing-has-no-place-in-dnssec