Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jul 29 17:40:53 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-29 19:32, Tim Franklin wrote:
>> Why waste valuable people's time to conserve nearly valueless
>> renewable resources?
>
> See my earlier comments on "upsell" and "control".  While you
> have some ISPs starting from the mentality that gives us "accepting
> incoming connections is a chargeable extra", they're also going
> to be convinced that there's a revenue opportunity in segmenting
> customers who want N of some resource from those who want 2N, 4N, ...
>  That the resource in question is, for all practical purposes, both
> free and infinite (cue someone with a 'tragedy of the commons'
> analysis) does not factor - if they want more, they must pay more!

Ever thought about this tiny thing called BANDWIDTH USAGE?

It is what ISPs are charged by their transit providers / peers, thus why
not do that do users?

Oh yeah.. something with overselling capacity.... but that is not a big
issue either, you can probably figure out what the average is, the
lowest and the highest and come up with a good competitive pricing
strategy from there.

And there is another advantage there: the people who use a lot of
bandwidth are actually paying for it then, thus you don't have to
ratelimit these folks, as heck, they pay for it! Need more capacity in
an area, well, no problem they paid for it already, thus do calculate
that into your pricing too of course ;)

Thus don't charge folks for the amount of IP addresses they have, that
is not what you get charged for by your transit/peers either.

Greets,
 Jeroen