Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Jul 29 17:08:33 UTC 2010

On 29 Jul 2010, at 8:00, Matthew Walster wrote:

> On 29 July 2010 15:49, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> If we give every household on the planet a /48 (approximately 3 billion
>> /48s), we consume less than 1/8192 of 2000::/3.
>
> There are 65,536 /48s in a /32. It's not about how available 2000::/3
> is, it's hassle to keep requesting additional PA space. Some ISPs
> literally have millions of customers.

Why would you initially request and receive a /32 if you know that you'll need far more space to assign subnets to all your customers?

> All I'm saying is, why waste the space when they're only going to need
> 1 subnet? If they want more than one subnet, give them a /48,/56,/60
> or whatever, as requested.

There's a good chance that you want to keep your customers for the long haul. There's a good chance that in the long run multi-subnet home networks will become the norm.

Leo