Out-of-band paging

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jul 28 15:38:52 UTC 2010

Joe Greco wrote:
>>From my point of view, my ideal alerting system is probably something
> like a smartphone running an app that's connected to the network
> monitoring system, and can tell me:
>
> 1) when it has lost that connection, and
>
> 2) whatever problems the network monitoring system chooses to let me
>    know about.

I use the triple approach myself. Old fashioned TAP line, helpdesk
notifications (they have plenty of methods of contacting me), and an out
of band hard relay alarm that goes to the telco operators.

Some methods use direct circuits to neighboring town's fiber node, some
things use the local town's fiber node, both taking different paths.
It's extremely hard to get fully isolated. Monitoring server even has
it's own separate UPS, though I really need to just throw an offsite
redundant monitoring server up.

The app solution is one I actually believe to be the best method, but
I'm a poor country folk and smart isn't exactly what I'd call this
little phone.

Jack