Out-of-band paging

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Jul 28 15:22:43 UTC 2010

> I guess my point is: yeah, Brandon, Joe, you're right.  But, I've built
> the alerting solution that minimizes the risk I will miss an alert I
> care about while also minimizing my overall cost and minimizing the
> complexity of the alerting system.  I'm happy to make it better,
> cheaper, more robust, etc., but I think it's important to balance these
> things.  (I should also note, if anyone had any doubts, that I'm also
> one of those mom-and-pop ISPs, not Time-Warner or Verizon, so my concept
> of alerting is a bit different from someone who is trying to keep tabs
> on 1300 POPs in 40 countries...)

I think my point's more along the lines of: don't expect to be able to
magically hand off a message to a service provider and expect that it
will be delivered; they have the same sorts of problems that you do,
and the way things are going, they may even be using the same
infrastructure that you are.  That last bit in particular is worth
thinking about.

>From my point of view, my ideal alerting system is probably something
like a smartphone running an app that's connected to the network
monitoring system, and can tell me:

1) when it has lost that connection, and

2) whatever problems the network monitoring system chooses to let me
   know about.

The old-timers would recognize this as one form of supervised circuit.

I don't really care about the possibility of lost messages so long as
I'm aware that I may not be "in touch".  I'm perfectly capable of
sorting that situation out myself.

... JG