Out-of-band paging (was: Web expert ...)

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Wed Jul 28 11:47:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Joel M Snyder wrote:

> It's completely out-of-band, even more so than our old
> touch-tone-phone-paging system was, so I'm actually happier with the total
> performance.  Given that GSM coverage is increasing while pager coverage
> seems static or decreasing, SMS via out-of-band GSM looks like a great
> solution.

Be wary, there is a fast growing trend amongst mobile operators to
outsource backhaul from their towers to IP network operators.  So far
there are only a few that are using the same network as for other IP
traffic, but the economy of scale motivations to combine onto a single IP
network are strong and will not be resisted for long.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
                                                                ICQ:  2269442