Who controlls the Internet?

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:54:56 UTC 2010

>> PS. ICANN has no responsibility or operational role denying access or services.
>>
>> Regards
>
>        except ICANN has presumed for itself an operational role.
>        it has taken on root server operations for some years now
>        and is trying to take over root zone editorial control.

Sure, no doubt there are some groups under the ICANN umbrella
desperate to expand their "operational" role including the last move
about creating a DNS-CERT or GAC-ifing every decision.

Besides L server I don't think ICANN has much control of the rest of
the root servers.

Amen about the root zone.

I'd love to see how viable and what it would take to "go Postel",
screw ICANN and declare independence from it.

I'd say that today nobody has full control but among some
organizations (including now the other competing traveling circus aka
IGF) many want to have it.

Cheers
Jorge