Who controlls the Internet?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Jul 25 17:50:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:24:27PM +0300,
 Tarig Yassin <tariq198487 at hotmail.com> wrote
 a message of 27 lines which said:

> For example when users from Sudan trying to access some web site
> they will get a *Forbidden Access Error* message.
>
> And some messages say: you are forbidden to access this web site
> because your IP address appears form country black listed due to USA
> government policy.
>
> I would like to issue a question here, who controls this Internet?

It is not "the Internet", it is just some Web sites in the USA which,
for local reasons, ban access from Sudan. The Internet still
works. And, on the Internet, any Web site can unilaterally decide to
refuse access from country X or country Y, either because a *local*
law mandates it or because they just feel that way.

Go to Web sites in Japan or Costa-Rica and I assume everything will be
OK.

> And why not the ICCAN take this reponsibity as an International
> organization not USA government?

Since the ICANN is nothing more than a puppet of the US government, I
don't see the improvment it would make.