Appliance Vs Software based routers

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Jul 25 08:21:37 UTC 2010

The official answer: commodity hardware doesn't handle all the features needed
at "line rate".

The (more often than not) unofficial answer: using a custom platform
raises the entry barrier for cloning/abuse/etc. It's a bit hard to
run your appliance MIPS software on an off-the-shelf PC; but it (used)
to be possible to run PIX software on a PC (and in a VM too, IIRC.)

Fun times,

Adrian

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010, Tarig Yassin wrote:

> Dear all
>

> Greetings
>

> I'm wondering why the software based router is not preferable in business even if they have high featured Processers, and high capcity of memory.
>

> What is the main deferent between Appliance router and Software based routers?
>

> thank you all in adavance.
>
> --
> Tarig Y. Adam

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -