Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jul 25 02:27:34 UTC 2010

On Jul 24, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
>>> Such a site would be the seed for when (if) we come up with the tech
>>> for everyone to have PI and lose all the restrictions imposed so far.
>> Oh, we have the technology. It's called "memory"
> If that were viable then we'd be doing it.

We are. I'm told that the fully outfitted top-end routers from Cisco and Juniper can handle tens of millions of routes (as long as you're not in a rush to converge and you have lots of cheap power).  Of course, the price of said routers is a bit steep, particularly for smaller ISPs and enterprises, so you'll see a shift in the way the Internet works (perhaps not surprisingly, back towards the way telco networks look with a small number of very large companies).

>> Speaking from the perspective of a vendor, I'll happily sell it to you.
>>
>> Don't complain to me about the size of the route table, don't complain to me about heat or power requirements, and don't complain to me about convergence intervals. I'll tell you that you designed the bed you wanted to sleep in, and it was all yours.
>
> Indeed, best not listen to vendors

As it is best not to listen to doctors that tell you if you continue chain smoking or eating 5000 calories a day, you'll likely regret it.

Regards,
-drc