North Korea conflict with US and South Korea could spark cyber war

Andrew Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Sat Jul 24 23:33:07 UTC 2010

  James,

1. cyberwar is bullsh*t, always has been, always will be.
2. we are risking a "cyberwar" (which is, as previously mentioned,
bullsh*t) with North Korea which can't even feed itself, let alone buy
things like computers, or real internet access.  So, yes you can knock
out root name servers for a few hours, it has been done by the way, and
only people on this list really noticed.  The tactical loss of those
name servers won't slow down the components of the US military which are
now bombing your country.
With this point we get to why cyberwar is bullsh*t.  Bombs blow stuff
up, soldiers shoot and kill people, tanks blow stuff up, big ships with
huge cannons blow stuff up.  This sort of stuff has to be rebuilt.
Launching a crippling internet attack slow down the flow of e-mail, and
while this might make our day a bit harder if the blackberry doesn't
beep happily every minute and a half, in comparison to bombing, or
getting shot, or blown up, or shelled by battleships, e-mail is pretty
insignificant.

Andrew