Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 18:41:18 UTC 2010

> The RFC provides for two address ranges in fc00::/7, one for random
> prefixes (fc00::/8), the other reserved for later management (fd00::/8).

Later, in some undefined way. A PI lacking enterprise considering
doing v6 this way either waits or decides the available space will do
as someone will fix the managment later. Sixxs demonstrated that some
will see a need

With low take up of v6 it's early to know what they will see important

> The more important it is to you that your allocation be unique, the
> more careful you will be to choose a truly random one.

So a way to have really unique is reasonable.

> The chance that any
> random prefix will conflict with any chosen prefix is very, very small.
> The chance that two conflicting prefixes would belong to entities that
> will ever actually interact is even smaller.

People still play the lotteries.

brandon