Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Jul 24 04:38:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:48:47 -0400
Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:51 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:
> >

> >> Funny how so much concern is given to eliminating the possibility of end users returning for more space, yet for ISP's we have no real concern with what will happen when they near depletion of their /32 what with /48s to some thousands customers, aggregation, churn, what have you.
> >>
> > There's no need to give it a lot of concern because that process is pretty well understood and not particularly different from the current process in IPv4.
>
> There are a whole lot of organizations who do not view getting IPv4 from
> ARIN as particularly easy or well understood. Whether IPv6 requests will
> be better or worse for more or less of the population is completely
> unpredictable at this time.
>
> My point is that very little concern is being given to them and all of
> it to the end user, who all understand how to contact their service
> provider to request more service.
>

> > When an ISP runs out, they apply for more from either their upstream, or, their RIR. Just that simple.
>
> When an end user runs out, they apply for more from either their
> upstream, or, their RIR. Just that simple.

Well my point isn't about how simple it is. It is how much that
each request costs to handle. You could give each of residential your
customers a single /64, and have some percentage of them come back
every year for more subnets. Or you could give them all /56s, and
likely have none of them come back at all for additional address space
while they continue to be your customer. Up to a point (/56 seeming to
be the common view at the moment) IPv6 address space is so plentiful
that handling a request for more costs both or either the ISP or the
customer more than if the customers were initially given enough to
exceed their common and foreseeable requirements.

There would be better things for an ISP to spend it's staff time on
than dealing with low end customer IPv6 address space requests, when
the ISP has the choice of giving all customers more than they'll
likely need, resulting in additional address space requests to being a
rare and exceptional occasion.